Vogel Library Interlibrary Loan Policy
purpose of Interlibrary Loan is obtaining material not available
in the Vogel Library and providing material from the Vogel Library
collection to other libraries. Interlibrary Loan is a service that
supports the mission of Vogel Library by providing enhanced access
to and delivery of research and instructional materials.
service is offered to Wartburg College faculty, faculty spouses,emeritus
faculty, visiting faculty, staff, staff spouses, currently
enrolled students and members of the Board of Regents.
- Users with non-academic requests and those not
affiliated with Wartburg College should request Interlibrary Loan
service through their public libraries.
- The library assumes the cost of this service and
does not charge patrons, except in case of lost materials.
- Materials which will not be obtained include:
items owned by Vogel Library, course textbooks
or reserve materials, reference books, rare materials, and some audiovisual
materials. The Interlibrary Loan Supervisor or one of the librarians
considers exceptions on a case-by-case basis.
- All users must be registered through the Illiad
system in order to submit requests. First time users log-in to
Illiad via the Library web page.
- Service will be provided as quickly as possible.
Turnaround time varies depending on the lending library. An on
campus delivery service delivers most Interlibrary Loan material.
Communication with patrons also takes place via phone, campus mail
The Interlibrary Loan Supervisor or one of the
librarians considers rush requests on a case-by-case basis.
service is offered to other libraries and businesses that participate
in agreement with Vogel Library as an individual library or
as a network.
Networks include such groups as OCLC (Online Computer Library
Center), SILO) State of Iowa Libraries Online), LVIS (Libraries
in Sharing), and AMIGOS.
- Materials that ordinarily circulate to library
users may be sent out on Interlibrary Loan. Most items are loaned
for one month. Convocation tapes will circulate if a second copy
is available. CDâ€™s and tapes that accompany a general collection
book will circulate.
- Materials not loaned include periodicals, audiovisuals
(tapes, compact disks), reference, juvenile/youth, curriculum,
microforms, leisure reading, archival, and reserve items. Exceptions
may be requested on a case-by-case basis.
- Requests for items from the Vogel Library are
accepted via OCLC, SILO, ARIEL, FAX, e-mail, and mail on ALA Interlibrary
Loan forms. Rush requests are processed as time and staffing permits.
Lending priorities may be designated based on reciprocal agreements.
Interlibrary lending will provide speedy turnaround
on most items, usually within one or two days.
Damage or Replacement of Interlibrary Loan Items
Interlibrary Loan is a service provided among libraries out of their generosity and good will. For it to work, good will must be preserved. Therefore, the Vogel Library interlibrary loan staff takes special care to ensure that lending libraries' materials are treated carefully:
- We respect lending libraries' instructions about in-library use and specification for return of items borrowed.
- We inspect each item as it arrives and make note of any preexisting damage.
- We inspect each item as it is returned and notify the lending library of any damaged caused whiel in our custody.
- We respond immediately to recall requests from lending libraries which requires our borrower to return the material without delay.
- We acknowledge materials that are not returned by borrowers and ask the lending libraries to bill for replacement.
Interlibrary loan materials lost or damaged while checked out to the borrower will be the borrower's responsibility. The Wartburg borrower will be charged any replacement or repair fee levied by the lending library plus a $15 processing fee per transaction. Fees assessed by the lending library are non-negotiable. A minimum charge of $10.00 will always be assessed for each damaged item. A minimum charge of $40.00 will always be assessed for each lost item or material that is beyond repair. Student fines will be added to the student’s account at the controller’s office. Faculty and staff fines will be charged to their departments to be (re)paid per department policy. Vogel Library reserves the right to revoke interlibrary loan privileges for violation of interlibrary loan policies.